Sunday, March 28, 2010

Bibio - The mood ring of music

Since I learned about Bibio last February, the solo project of British music producer Stephen Wilkinson has been my go-to music for any and all occasions, joyful and sorrowful alike. Bibio has this unbelievable transmutability, shifting seamlessly to enhance your happiness or indulge you to wallow in your sadness, depending on your mood. The mostly instrumental/electronic songs are the perfect soundtrack to spring, and the each album flows together beautifully.

All of Bibio's music, Vignetting the Compost in particular, seems to fit in anywhere; each piece is intricate enough to demand and deserve your full attention, but somehow it knows when to take the backseat and serve as soothing background music.

Taking advantage of the inherent cinematic quality of my favorite Bibio song, 'The Ephemeral Bluebell', I made this short movie earlier this year. It's comprised of 1,704 photographs shot over 2 and half years, each played for .2 seconds. I'm also taking advantage of this blog as yet another medium through which I can force people into watching this.
But really - I think the song's antique, skipping, dreamy feel perfectly compliments the choppy flip-book feel of the film, and the poignant (to me, at least) guitar riffs help make it even more nauseatingly sentimental. As my friend said immediately after watching this, "Geeze Jess, you better hope you don't fuckin' die soon, 'cause like, you've got the perfect fuckin' memorial video all ready for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment